"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Sunday, March 27, 2011

"Laugh A Little, Then Help Me Up"

Ryan came home the other day and told me that he talked to his fellow baseball coaches about his diagnosis.  I was not concerned about Ryan being asked to stop coaching because of his condition, but I was concerned about whether or not they (the coaches and school) would ever make it difficult for him to WANT to continue.  Everyone was very supportive and Ryan's head coach told him he would do everything he can to make the process as easy as possible over the upcoming years.  


I was particularly interested to hear how Ryan approached discussing his disease with his players. For those of you that know me, you know that I tend to be the talker in our relationship and I have done most of the 'explaining' of his condition over the last year.  I wanted to hear exactly what Ryan said to this group of high school guys because I knew it would say a lot about how Ryan was handling the recent news.


Ryan said he explained that he had a disease that was going to cause him to eventually lose the use of his legs and makes him fall down sometimes now.  Some of his players expressed their sympathy and Ryan simply told them that when he falls down, "...just laugh a little, then help me up."


In that moment, I hadn't realized how worried I was about how Ryan was handling his diagnosis.  To hear that he was embracing humor to share his situation, allowed me to exhale the breath I didn't even realize I had been holding since we received the news two weeks ago.  


I am continuing to learn that God shows Himself and His plan in the most simple moments of our lives.  Ryan's humor reminds me that we can handle whatever is coming!! Our story is NOT tragic.  Our story is just... OUR story.





No comments:

Post a Comment